The California Internship & Work Experience Association (CIWEA) will select two students to receive a $1,000 scholarship each. Students apply through a CIWEA member on their campus or internship/work site by submitting an essay that describes how their academic internship, co-op, or work experience has influenced their career choice. After a review process, the selected students will receive their scholarship in April 2018.
One $1000 scholarship will be awarded to a student from a 4-year university and one $1000 scholarship will be awarded to a student from a 2-year college in California. A certificate of achievement will be awarded to the second place winner in each category.
Requirements/Instructions for Student Essays:
1. Double-spaced, 12-point font essay of no more than 750 words which must reflect college-level writing.
2. Essay topic answers the question: How has my internship influenced my career choice? (The essay title may also be student’s own).
3. Must include a cover page with the essay title, student name, college or university name, and the total number of words in the essay. Any essay submitted without the appropriate formatting and cover page will be disqualified.
4. Essays, including the cover page, should be saved with a file name that contains the student’s first and last name, college name, and 2 or 4 year school. Example: (Jane.Doe.Jessup.4)
5. Students should submit their essays by email to Christy Jewell at email@example.com by Friday, January 12, 2018. In the body of your EMAIL (not essay), please include: Your name, address, phone, Major, Dates of Internship, Company/Organization name, Organization City & State, Site Supervisor’s name and phone number.
6. The CIWEA Scholarship Committee will score submitted essays using the following 25-point rubric:
a. Clear and well-written (5 points)
b. Level of analysis/reflection (5 points)
c. Writing to topic (5 points)
d. Creativity (5 points)
e. Career impact (5 points)
- Visit ciwea.org to read about the scholarship requirements and view last year’s winning essays.