Spiritual Life Credit Requirements
To help each student engage in intentional spiritual growth at Jessup, we created Spiritual Life Credits to encourage participation in a variety of discipleship, outreach, and service experiences. This transformative co-curricular program is a hallmark of the unique Christ-centered education students receive at Jessup. In addition to ongoing chapel participation, all full-time (12+ units) traditional students are expected to complete a variety of experiences to earn Spiritual Life Credits in order to graduate.
Students are given multiple opportunities to engage in discipleship, outreach, and Christian service – both through Jessup-sponsored programs, and through local churches and nonprofits. These Spiritual Life Credits are tracked and updated each semester and students may view their total accrued Spiritual Life Credits through the student portal. It is up to each individual to keep track of their total Spiritual Life Credits on the path to graduation.
The following chart explains the required amount of Spiritual Life Credits for incoming students. The number of Spiritual Formation Credits required for each student is dependent upon his or her class standing when they are accepted to the university. This number is determined by the number of accepted units the Registrar’s office recognizes toward your Jessup degree. The number of credits required is averaged at 2 per semester starting the first semester of your sophomore year.
Credit requirements are determined by your number of incoming units. They are outlined in the following scale:
0-44 units = 12 Spiritual Life Credits required to graduate
45-59 units = 10 Spiritual Life Credits required to graduate
60-74 units = 8 Spiritual Life Credits required to graduate
75+ units = 6 Spiritual Life Credits required to graduate
Spiritual Life Credit Options
You may choose from the following options to craft your personal co-curricular spiritual formation experience at Jessup. Along the way you must accrue at least one Discipleship Credit and at least one Outreach Credit to graduate, though we encourage participation in the Christian Service Credit as well.
Participation in an organized Christian small group, discipleship retreat, or personal mentorship experience focused on equipping and spiritual growth.
- Jessup Spiritual Formation Group (SFG) = 2 credits
- Church Small Group* = 2 credits*
- *Must meet for at least 1 hour every week for at least 9 weeks during a semester
- Intentional Mentorship = 2 credits*
- *Must meet for at least 1 hour every week for at least 9 weeks during a semester
- Discipleship Retreat/Conference = 1 credit*
- *Must complete at least 4 hours of workshops, sessions, or intentional training to receive credit. One credit maximum will be awarded per qualifying retreat/conference.
Participation in a local or global outreach focused on introducing people outside the church to the love of God. These experiences involve students sharing the love and hope of Jesus with others in a personal and intentional way.
- Local Outreach = 1 credit for every 4 hours of service*
- Global Outreach / Missions Trip = 4 credits*
- *Minimum of 7 days on the field
- Outreach Equipping Conference = 1 credit*
- Must complete at least 4 hours of workshops, sessions, or intentional training to receive credit
Participation in Christian service in a local church, Christian organization, or personal ministry to serve others in the name of Jesus. These experiences involve students putting their faith in action in practical ways to serve others. This can be service behind the scenes, ministry partnerships, or interpersonal efforts to help support Christian ministry or grow the faith of others through tangible acts of service.
- Local Church, Christian Organization & Christian Service = 1 credit for every 4 hours of service*
- *Maximum credits earned per semester for Christian service category is 2
- *Cannot receive more than half of your total required credits from this credit option
- *Volunteer service on campus at Jessup does not qualify for credit, as the goal is to encourage students to serve in the local church and greater community.
You may only turn in Spiritual Life Credit Forms for approval once you have accumulated 4 hours of approved service. Forms submitted for less than 4 hours cannot be eligible for half or partial credit and will not result in credit being approved.
Spiritual Life Credit Process
Students who enroll to participate in a Jessup Spiritual Formation Group and Service Practicum are automatically credited for their Spiritual Life Credits when their grade is posted at the end of the semester. For all other Spiritual Life Experiences (Local outreach, global outreach, local church small groups, community outreaches, etc.) please fill out a Spiritual Life Credit Form online.
If you prefer a paper process, print out a Spiritual Life Credit Form (links below), complete the top portion of the first page and give it to your group/experience supervisor to fill out. The form must then be returned to the Student Life Office to be processed. The report will then be looked over by a Campus Ministries Representative and approved if the requirements and regulations are met. Paper Spiritual Life Credit Forms can be found below:
- Discipleship Spiritual Life Credit Paper Form
- Outreach Spiritual Life Credit Paper Form
- Christian Service Spiritual Life Credit Paper Form
Spiritual Life Credit Policies At a Glance:
- General Policies
- All full-time students at William Jessup University are required to earn 12 Spiritual Life Credits in order to be eligible for graduation.
- Students must accrue at least one credit in both the Discipleship and Outreach categories. Students are not required to participate in the Church Volunteer Credit option, but we welcome offering credit for service in your local church.
- The maximum Spiritual Life Credits students can earn in any semester is 4.
- Students may receive no more than half of their total required credits from the Church Volunteer Credit option. (For example: a four-year student may only earn 6 credits from this option.)
- Students who enrolled prior to Fall 2015 can convert previously awarded service and small group credits using this Spiritual Formation Credit Calculator.
- Parameters for Partnership Options
- Spiritual Life Credits can be earned through partnering with an organization that aligns with or promotes Jessup’s Community Covenant and Campus Mission and whose main focus agrees with our Campus Ministries partnership parameters.
- With the exception of approved Jessup Student Leaders students cannot be supervised by a current Jessup student or a member of his/her own family.
- Applying for Spiritual Life Credit
- Spiritual Life Credit Forms must be submitted the Friday before finals week of each semester. Forms for credit earned over the summer are due by the Add/Drop Date of the following Fall semester. A $25 late fee will be charged for each form turned in after the due date.
- Students may only turn in Spiritual Life Credit Forms for approval once you have accumulated 4 hours of approved service. Forms submitted for less than 4 hours cannot be eligible for half or partial credit and will not result in credit being approved.
- Earning Credit
- Credit is contingent upon approval by the Office of Campus Ministries. It should not be assumed that all forms of discipleship or outreach opportunities will be awarded credit and final approval is based upon the supervisor’s review and Jessup’s Office of Campus Ministries.
- Forms submitted for participation at churches, organizations, businesses or functions that do not align with William Jessup University’s Statement of Faith, Community Covenant, and Campus Ministries partnership parameters will not be approved for credit.
- If you are unsure if your desired discipleship or service experience will meet the Spiritual Life Credit Requirements, please feel free to contact the Office of Campus Ministries for clarification prior to participation.
- Credit cannot be awarded for paid internships, student teaching positions, and other paid or for-credit activities.
- Participation in service and discipleship opportunities prior to enrollment at William Jessup University are not eligible for approval.
- Service done through a single entity during a semester or summer may count for one, but not multiple, credit categories.