To help each student engage in intentional spiritual growth at Jessup we created Spiritual Life Credits to encourage participation in a variety of discipleship and outreach experiences. In addition to ongoing chapel participation, all full-time (12+ units) traditional students are expected to complete 12 Spiritual Life Credits in order to graduate. Students are given multiple opportunities to engage in outreach and discipleship – both through Jessup-sponsored programs, and through local churches and nonprofits. These Spiritual Life Credits are tracked and updated each semester and students may view their total accrued Spiritual Life Credits through the student portal. It is up to each individual to keep track of their total Spiritual Life Credits on the path to graduation.
The following is a list of options for Spiritual Life Credits:
You must participate in one at least one Discipleship Credit option and at least one Outreach Credit option:
- Local Outreach = 1 credit for every seven hours of service*
- *Maximum credits earned per semester for Local Outreaches is two
- Service Practicum (SFG 091) = 4 credits
- Global Outreach / Missions Trip* = 4 credits
- *Minimum of 7 days on the field
- Jessup Spiritual Formation Group (SFG) = 2 credits
- Church small group* = 2 credits
- *Must meet for at least 1 hour every week for at least 10 weeks during a semester
Church Volunteer Credit
- 1 credit for every seven hours of serving as a volunteer*
- *Cannot receive more than half of your total required credits from this credit option
- *Maximum credits earned per semester for church volunteer work is two
- *You are not required to participate in this credit option, but we welcome offering credit for service in your local church
You may only turn in Spiritual Life Credit Forms for approval once you have accumulated seven (7) hours of approved service. Forms submitted for less than seven hours cannot be eligible for half or partial credit and will not result in credit being approved.
Spiritual Life Credit Process
Students who enroll to participate in a Jessup Spiritual Formation Group and Service Practicum are automatically credited for their Spiritual Life Credits when their grade is posted at the end of the semester. For all other Spiritual Life Experiences (Local outreach, global outreach, local church small groups, community outreaches, etc.) please print out a Spiritual Life Credit Form, complete the top portion of the first page and give it to your group/experience supervisor to fill out. The form must then be returned it to the Student Life Office to be processed. Please keep the second page as a reference to service requirement and policies. The report will then be looked over by a Campus Ministries Representative and approved if the requirements and regulations are met.
Spiritual Life Credit Policies:
- All full-time students at William Jessup University are required to earn 12 Spiritual Life Credits in
order to be eligible for graduation.
- Spiritual Life Credits can be earned through partnering with an organization that aligns with or
promotes Jessup’s Community Covenant and Campus Mission and whose main focus agrees with our
Campus Ministries partnership parameters.
- Credit is contingent upon approval by the Office of Campus Ministries. It should not be assumed that
all forms of discipleship or outreach opportunities will be awarded credit and final approval is based
upon the supervisor’s review and Jessup’s Office of Campus Ministries.
- Forms submitted for participation at churches, organizations, businesses or functions that do not
align with William Jessup University’s Statement of Faith, Community Covenant, and Campus
Ministries partnership parameters will not be approved for credit.
- If you are unsure if your desired discipleship or service experience will meet the Spiritual Life Credit
Requirements please feel free to contact the Office of Campus Ministries for clarification prior to
- Students must accrue at least one credit in both the Discipleship and Outreach categories.
- Students may only turn in Spiritual Life Credit Forms for approval once you have accumulated seven
(7) hours of approved service. Forms submitted for less than seven hours cannot be eligible for half
or partial credit and will not result in credit being approved.
- The maximum Spiritual Life Credits students can earn in any semester is four.
- Students may receive no more than half of their total required credits from the Church Volunteer
Credit option. (For example: a four-year student may only earn six credits from this option.)
- Students are not required to participate in the Church Volunteer Credit option, but we welcome
offering credit for service in your local church.
- With the exception of approved Jessup Student Leaders students cannot be supervised by a current
Jessup student or a member of his/her own family.
- Credit cannot be awarded for paid internships, student teaching positions and other paid or for credit
- Participation in service and discipleship opportunities prior to enrollment at William Jessup
University are not eligible for approval.
- Spiritual Life Credit Forms must be submitted the Friday before finals week of each semester. Forms
for credit earned over the summer are due by the Add/Drop Date of the following Fall semester.
- A $25 late fee will be charged for each form turned in after the due date.
- Service done through a single entity during a semester or summer may count for one, but not multiple, credit categories. (i.e. serving with an organization may count for weekly local outreach or weekend outreach credits, but cannot count for both within the same semester).
- Students who enrolled prior to Fall 2015 can convert previously awarded service and small group credits using this Spiritual Formation Credit Calculator.