In accordance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act, Disability Support Services (DSS) provides eligible students with a variety of individualized, reasonable accommodations.
- intended to assist college students with disabilities in having equal access to regular college programs and activities
- determined individually for each student through an interactive process
- based on functional limitations resulting from a documented disability
Not all accommodations are appropriate for every class and/or housing situation. Accommodations are approved by DSS on a case-by-case basis and indicated on the Faculty Notification Letter, which is given to students for distribution.
Related to Support:
- preferential/alternate seating
- shared notes
- recorded lectures (use of Smartpen)
Presentation of Materials & Instruction;
- texts in alternate format
- large print handouts
- braille text
- mini-fridge in room for medical storage
- ground-floor housing assignment
- vacuum with air filter in wing
- extended time
- priority registration
- reduced course load**
- course substitution**
*Housing Accommodation Request Deadlines:
New Students: Fall Admits-July 1st, Spring Admits-December 1st
Returning Students: Fall Returners-March 1st, Spring Returners-November 1st
**Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (A.D.A.), the university in not required to fundamentally alter its programs, activities and/or services. Fundamental alteration means a change that significantly alters the essential nature of the program.