- 4 GB RAM
- 250 GB hard drive or larger
- Integrated Wireless (802.11a/n) for laptops
- Intel Core I series or AMD processor
- Windows 7 Home Premium or higher
- Mac OS 10.7.X or higher
- Some students have had good success with a Google Chromebook, iPad or Android Tablet
For Windows computers
- The University recommends using the Microsoft Security Essentials for personal computers. Please visit Microsoft Security Essentials Client Overview for information about the client.
- If you are a Windows 8 user then the Microsoft Security Essentials is built in to Windows Defender. Please visit http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/security-essentials-download for more information.
For Mac computers
- ITS recommends that you install Avast for Mac or Clam X Antivirus.
- Visit http://www.avast.com/en-us/free-antivirus-mac for the free download or
- ClamXav antivirus software for Mac OS may be found at: http://www.clamxav.com/
- Google Chrome 21 – Recommended browser (Download at http://www.google.com/chrome)
- Firefox 15.0 – Alternate browser (Download http://www.mozilla.com)
- Internet Explorer 10 – Alternate browser (already installed on all Windows computers)
- Safari 6 (Mac only)
You will need to know how to do a few basic things in your browser.
- Open a link in a new tab. To learn how see “How to Open Links in a New Tab“
- Download, edit, and upload documents. Some instructors may have you download Microsoft Word, PDF, or Powerpoint documents. You may also need to upload your assignments.
- Browser http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/
- Java: http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp (then click “Verify”)
- PDF Reader. Mac computers have Preview that can open PDFs. Windows computers can download Adobe Reader: http://get.adobe.com/reader/
- You will need a word processing program and some classes use a presentation software. As part of your Jessup email account you will have access to Google Docs. Google Docs includes a word processor, spreadsheet and presentation software. Log in to Google Docs by clicking “Documents” at the top of your email inbox. Google Docs is free and can read Word, PowerPoint, and Excel files.
- You can also purchase Microsoft Office (including Word, PowerPoint, and Excel). An alternative would be to use Open Office, which is free and can be downloaded at http://www.openoffice.org/.
- You can purchase a portable hard drive to regularly backup your entire computer. These drives come with automated backup software, or you can use Windows Backup which is built in to Windows 7 or Time Machine on a Macintosh. You can get a 1 Terabyte drive for under $125.
- You will have 25+ Gigabytes of free storage available to you in Google Drive as a part of your Jessup Gmail account.
- Another option is to subscribe to an online backup service such as carbonite.com – (Unlimited for $55/year).
Please note: Fulfilling the above requirements does not guarantee that your computer will be able to smoothly run all the required programs.