What’s On Your Nameplate?

nameplatejrIf you could design your own nameplate, what would it say? Our blue nameplates summarize a certain amount of information about who we are and what we do here: name, degree, title, the department we teach in.  This is often how we define ourselves in the workplace.  What is my title?  I worked hard for that title, so I want everyone to know it.  What is my task?  I pour myself into the tasks of the job, so I want people to know where my work lies.

But does our nameplate really capture who we are and why we are here?

Ephesians 2:10 tells us, “We are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.”

Let us not lose sight of this fact: that we were saved by Christ and given a purpose here and now.  For most of us, we probably see His plan and His path that has brought us to WJU’s FNAS.  Are we walking in that plan and that purpose?  Or do we tend to get pushed around by the tasks of the day, the needs of others, and the circumstances of life?

I hope and pray that each one of us would know, remember and live in the purpose God has for us.  And while we are at WJU, we are living out that purpose here.  Whether core faculty of five years or adjunct for one semester, you are part of God’s plan in what He is building here among us.

So stay focused.  Walk in it.

If you were to write your own nameplate, what would it say?  Why are YOU here?

Take It With You:

1. Take the blank nameplate you were giving at today’s FNAS meeting or in your mailbox.  If you could write anything about who you are or what you do, what would it be? (For example, I filled mine in to say, “Guiding the next generation into God’s calling for their lives” and “professing the glory of God in His Creation.”)
  2. Take some time to reflect on Ephesians 2:1-10.  Talk it over with God.  Pray about the work He would have you do here and now.
  3. Share your nameplate with one other FNAS member so we can help each other stay on track.  And then keep your nameplate in your Bible or on your desk where you will see it regularly.  On the difficult, task-filled days, remember why you are here.