Frequently Asked Questions

How do I go about using the services offered by Disability Support Services?

Complete the orientation, which is available online. You must turn in the following four documents before services can start:

1. Disability Support Services application
2. Online orientation certificate of completion
3. FERPA agreement
4. Verification of Disability

You will be contacted by the Disability Support Services office and informed of the next step toward receiving services after submitting all required forms.

What is the submission process for a documented disability?  

Documentation must have the following in order to be accepted by Disability Support Services: 1) the treating professionals letterhead; 2) the specific type/nature of your disability; and 3) reasoning why recommended accommodations may be beneficial.

  • email:
  • Fax: 916.577.2253 (Please note: ATTN: Learning Commons, Jessica Stiles)
  • Physical Mail:

ATTN: Learning Commons, Jessica Stiles
2121 University Ave  /  Rocklin, CA 95765

Are provisional accommodations available for students without current documentation of a disability?

Provisional academic accommodations are available to students who do not have current documents verifying a disability; however, provisional accommodations are only offered for 30 days. In order to have your accommodations continue, you must submit appropriate verification documenting a disability.

What should I know when applying to William Jessup University? Are there any special procedures for students with disabilities?

Students with disabilities must apply to WJU through the regular admissions procedure. There are no special admissions procedures for students with disabilities. A student may, however, apply to the companies that administer the standardized admission exams (such as Educational Testing Services and The College Board) for provision of accommodations when taking standardized tests such as the SAT, and ACT. Contact the exam administration companies for further information on how to apply for and make arrangements for standardized exam accommodations.

What should I do if I suspect I have a disability and want to receive accommodations?

If you suspect you have a disability that is impacting your academic performance, an appointment should be scheduled with a member of the Disability Support Services staff to discuss your potential need for services and academic accommodations. Please reference the eligibility standards for disabilities, so you may gather required verification.

I received special education (IDEA) or 504/ADA services in high school how are these services different in college?

Yes, there are differences between IDEA (high school) and 504/ADA (college). One of the most significant differences is that there is no longer an IEP process in college. However, if you have a documented disability, you may choose to provide appropriate documentation to Disability Support Services and request academic accommodations. Students must self-identify in college, meaning it is the student’s responsibility to seek services. If a student does not request academic accommodations, the college is not held liable. Another difference is that no fundamental alterations to course curriculum can be made, meaning any accommodation or modification a student receives cannot change the core curriculum of a course.

If I am a student with a disability, will Disability Support Services seek me out to provide services like my counselors did in high school?

In college, students with disabilities are covered under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and under the Americans with Disabilities Act. IDEA no longer applies. Since this is the case, the legal obligations change. There is no special education IEP process in college. Under IDEA, it is the responsibility of the schools to provide services and seek out students with disabilities. Colleges do not have to seek out students with disabilities. It is the student’s responsibility to seek out services through Disability Support Services.

What role do my parents play in the process?

Students who are 18 years old or older are legally recognized as adults. In this case, the student is responsible for their own accommodation requests and disability-related decisions. However, students are encouraged to have an open dialogue with their parents. Parents can be a wonderful source of support.

I have a physical disability and have trouble getting around. What types of accommodations are geared just for me?

Students with physical disabilities are encouraged to register with Disability Support Services every semester so that staff can help them with access to buildings and other university activities. Disability Support Services partners with Facilities Services to maintain a current listing of all building accessibility information.

I suspect I have a learning disability. Can Disability Support Services conduct the assessment to provide a diagnosis?

Colleges are not required to conduct or provide testing. The student is responsible for providing current documentation, and any additional testing to support the requested accommodations, if necessary. However, Disability Support Services may be able to provide referral information for local evaluators.

Programs for Individuals with Autism

The university does not have a specialized program in place for individuals on the autism spectrum. The application process is the same for all students when applying to the university. If you are interested in applying to the university or have been recently accepted, please take the time to meet with Disability Support Services staff to discuss what academic accommodations are available for all students with documented disabilities.

How is confidentiality of a student’s record statues maintained through the department?

All Disability Support Services files are locked and only accessed by Disability Support Services staff. No information is released without your permission. With permission from you, Disability Support Services staff may discuss services and/or educational limitations with your instructor.

Does WJU waive course and/or requirements for students with disabilities?

    WJU does not waive course requirements or graduation requirements for students with disabilities.

All I need is test proctoring assistance; do I still need to sign up for Disability Support Services services?

Yes, you must sign up for Disability Support Services in order to receive a distraction free environment, and/or extended test time.