The mission of the Writing Center is to provide quality one-on-one writing tutorials and small group instruction to all levels of university students within a safe and supportive environment. We provide face-to-face tutoring on our Rocklin campus for traditional undergrad (TUG), School of Professional Studies (SPS), and graduate students, as well as online tutoring for online and distance (Bay Area) students.
Working as a student writing tutor, you will gain experience:
- Building relationships by mentoring peers in how to sharpen their academic writing skills
- Becoming familiar with technology (My WC Online, Google Hangouts, Google Drive)
- Working with the unique needs of at-risk students, such as those with documented disabilities and learning differences, international students, and those in need of additional academic support
- Presenting on writing-related topics, as needed for workshops or in-class outreach for faculty
- Representing the university by displaying integrity, responsibility, and academic excellence
- Passed ENGL 101A and 101B with a “B” or better
- Attained sophomore year status
- Displayed competency in writing skills
- Received an instructor recommendation
- Fill out and submit both a WJU Employee Application and a Writing Center Tutor Application
- This includes the 200-word response to why you’d like to serve in the Writing Center and an instructor recommendation
- Email your application documents to email@example.com or hand them to a front desk assistant in the Learning Commons.
Once you submit your application, the Writing Center Director will be in contact with you shortly.