WHAT IS A SPECIAL VISIT?
A Special Visit is scheduled mid-cycle in the reaffirmation process to evaluate Jessup’s progress in addressing the issues noted by the Commission following the November 2017 reaffirmation visit. Typically, no change is made to an institution’s accreditation status.
WHEN IS THE SPECIAL VISIT?
A remote visit will be conducted October 21-23, 2020, followed by a brief on-site visit in the next six months.
HOW DO WE PREPARE FOR A SPECIAL VISIT?
Special Visit reports are intended to be limited in scope, not to be comprehensive evaluations of the institution. Because of the focused nature of a Special Visit report, the widespread and comprehensive involvement of various institutional constituencies is not required. Our strategy for this report and visit is to draw upon existing bodies and initiatives whenever possible to respond to the recommendations we received from WSCUC. The report was submitted to WSCUC in summer 2020.
REVIEW STEERING COMMITTEE
A small group of campus leaders are responsible to:
- Guide the special visit review process for regional accreditation, overseeing the task forces.
- Review task force reports and make recommendations to the Executive Team.
- Prepare the written report in spring 2020.
Members include the Executive Team, Kay Llovio (chair), Kevin Pischke, and Dave Heitman.
WHAT WERE THE RECOMMENDATIONS WE ARE TO ADDRESS?
- Ongoing assessment of co-curricular programs.
- Address the impact of WJU’s rapid growth and change on campus culture and morale.
- Address transparent and inclusive approaches to decision-making and policy-development.
- Address the establishment and implementation of a student success committee and student retention plan.
- Address annual program assessment development and better connections between program review and strategic planning.
- Address a strategic planning process that is more input and data-driven and grounded in effective communication with the campus community.
- Address financial sustainability including updates on debt management and revenue sources.
WILL THE SAME TEAM RETURN FOR THE SPECIAL VISIT?
Three of the five members on our Special Visit were on the 2017 team: John Derry, chair, Elizabeth Morris, and Brian Tomhave; new members include Cynthia Carter and Doug Renner. See “Interactions with the Evaluation Team” page.