FYE Instructors must be:
- Full-time, part-time or adjunct faculty or staff
- Hold a Master’s degree or higher from an accredited institution
- Have approval from their supervisor or department chair to teach FYE
- Have approval from the Provost Office to teach FYE
Renewal decisions are based on the additional criteria:
- Participation in FYE instructor development initiatives (forthcoming in 2018-2019)
- satisfactory student evaluations
How do I become an instructor?
- Contact the Director of Orientation and Engagement (firstname.lastname@example.org) to communicate your interest or respond to the FYE “looking for instructors” email sent out through the DL Faculty email account.
New Process Coming Soon-
- Submit a New Instructor Application along with a cover letter. The cover letter should address the reason for your interest, fit for working with first-year students, and relevant teaching or facilitation experience.
- This is a rolling application process so instructors are selected on an ongoing basis and next steps are communicated upon selection.
- Applicants may be invited to meet with the Director of Orientation and Engagement to discuss the opportunity to teach and next steps in the process.
Upon Confirmation of Instructor Role:
- Course hire paperwork will be submitted on the Instructor’s behalf however, they are responsible to get authorized permission from supervisor(s) to teach FYE
- Faculty: Request to Hire (RTH) form must be signed by both Department Chair and Division Chair
- Staff: Supervisor Authorization form must be signed by direct supervisor
- Use the Annual Instructor Checklist to ensure you are prepared for the start of your FYE and all instructor requirements have been completed.