Leave of Absence

Students who find it necessary to interrupt their enrollment should file a Request for a Leave of Absence or Official Withdrawl before leaving the University. A Leave of Absence is good for a maximum of one year and allows students to maintain the existing graduation program. (Students who return from a Leave of Absence will enter under the current fee schedule.)

Students withdrawn from the University for one academic year or more (official or unofficial leave of absence) may be required to update some or all of the admissions requirements. (Failure to petition will mean that, upon their return, a student must fulfill all graduation requirements for the current academic year in which they re-enroll.)

Requesting a leave of absence is a two-step process:

  1. Dropping classes (if applicable): Students who wish to withdraw from all classes in which they are registered must follow the process outlined in the preceding section (see Drops / Withdraws).
  2. Exiting the University: Students must submit a Request for Leave of Absence or Official Withdrawal to the University Academic Office or local SPS Office. If the leave is temporary, a student should fill out the Leave of Absence section in order to maintain the existing graduation program. If the student will not be returning they should fill out the Official Withdrawal section.